Tag Archives: Baby shopping list
When it comes to baby shopping list, a new mum like me just want to buy everything I see in store windows but that’s definitely not a good idea.
I know it can be quite tough to resist your temptation when most baby things are really cute and you just want to spend it all, especially on baby girls. There are a few of baby items I bought and I don’t use them at all until now (or can’t use them anymore). My baby girl is growing so fast and those pretty tiny clothes I bought can only fit her for a week or two maximum. So I suggest every new mums to get only what you actually need for the start. Buy only a few items in newborn sizes because most babies grow out of them so quickly.
Here are the lists of what you’d probably need to buy for the arrival of your newborn, and also my recommendation on the products and brands.
- baby cot and cot bumper. And this is the one we bought. It goes really well with the designs of our place, no sharp corners, and with wheels!
- mattress and 2 fitted sheets
- 5 milk bottles I would recommend that you get 3 small ones and 2 large ones.
- Bottle & teat brush sterilizer
- bottle warmer. It will be very useful when your baby refuses to finish her milk at one go and it won’t be a waste too.
- formula milk. Even if you are full breastfeeding, it would be better have 1-2 standby.
- 3-4 nursing bras
- box of breast pads.
- Breast pump. I strongly recommend Medela Freestyle. Quite expensive (around $600 plus) but worth it.
- Nursing pillow. (ps. I use my pregnancy pillow instead since it works for me)
- 5-6 vests or body suits (short sleeves would be better for Singapore weather and try to avoid anything with zippers)
- 2 hats, 4 pairs of mittens and socks
- 2 lightweight blankets
- 5-6 muslins. This is very useful. To put under baby head when sleeping and you don’t have to change sheets if they spilt up, and on changing mats just in case your little one gives you those unexpected surprise. I also use this to wrap my newborn girl. Babies feel more secure that way.
- Baby bathtub. The one I bought is MY BEST BUY so far! It comes with a changing mat on top and useful storages to keep the baby stuff you need nearby such as diaper etc.
I got it from Isetan at Shaw House and it costs around SGD200-300.
- baby bath and shampoo. I strongly recommend QV bath oil for to body wash.
My baby has a sensitive skin so I’m pretty selective on such product.
- 2 big and 2 small towels
- 2 Small Tupperware. 1 for face and 1 for bottom.
- Sponge. I also use my hand to clean my baby as I can get into all the nooks and folds.
- Changing mat
- Diapers. Buy at least 2 big packs of newborn size.
- Diaper rash cream.
- Nappy wipes.
- Cotton wool. Buy more. You can never too much. I use this with water to clean my baby’s bottom and face for the first month as newborn baby has very sensitive skin.
- Cotton buds.
- Baby Carrier. I’m using BABYBJORN and it’s great. (tried Sling and it’s not for me)
- Baby monitor.
- Fever Thermometer.
- Yu Yee Oil. To relief wind on newborns and babies (apply on your tummy after bath) Pour 1-2 drop on your palms, rub your hand and then the baby’s tummy.
There are other things besides the above list you will need such as car seat, stroller, and etc. However, I don’t think you will need them until your baby is older than a month or two. Take time to consider and try more different products or brands before you decide to buy it.
ps.- I think 6-7 months of pregnancy is a good time to start shopping for your baby. At least that’s what I did.
I hope this helps for some of you, especially new mum-to-be. Good luck and enjoy your great journey. Feel free to share.